Friday, September 07, 2012

The Orioles, Cal Ripken and The Story


Last night, my daughter Rachel, took me to the Oriole - Yankee game that was also the unveiling of the Cal Ripken Statue. We got there early so we could at least get a glimpse of the statue ceremony. We were about 40 feet away from the ceremony and I got to see, in person, the players that were a part of so many summer days and nights growing up as an Oriole Fan!! Boog Powell, Jim Palmer, Earl Weaver, Frank Robinson and my favorite player - Brooks Robinson. Rachel never saw any of those men play as an Oriole, but she knew about each one because she has heard me talk about them. She saw the misty eyes I had when the frail Brooks finally made it to the ceremony.

Rachel was born the year the Orioles won our last World Series, and really grew up with Iron Man Cal Ripken's memories. Sarah and I were at opening day at Camden Yard 20 years ago and all of us gathered around the TV set in our kitchen 17 years ago, last night, to watch Cal break Lou Gehrig's consecutive game record of 2130 .

I can't imagine my children growing up and not knowing the stories of the 1966 World Series or Brooks Robinson's amazing play in the 1970 World Series.

It is my hope that each of you have had or will commit to making sure that your children, grandchildren and the people you love know about your faith in Jesus Christ. I hope that they have heard or will hear from you the amazing stories of a people fleeing an evil Pharaoh and finding a way across the Red Sea. Or Gideon winning a great battle or the disciples surviving a storm at sea.

I believe that we want those we care about and love to have the same faith that we have in Jesus Christ. And yet, it just doesn't seem as easy to do compared to helping our children to love our favorite sports team. Could it be that we have not invested our time and energy in helping our children and families to experience and learn what life with Jesus Christ is all about? We may want it, but we allow other "things" to push it way down our to-do list.

I want you to know that your church, your pastors and your fellow church members have stepped out to help you do what, in your hearts, you want for your children, whether they are four, 14, 24 or 44...

The Story is all about first helping you to discover or remember the stories that frame the life of a Christian. You need to know the stories if you are going to tell them to those you love. And even more important, you will discover that your story matters to God and how your story and God's story connects!!

Join us this Sunday as we start The Story experience at all of our worship services!

Last night, I felt that a whole city rediscovered a love for Oriole baseball...Now, as much as I felt last night was the most amazing baseball game I had ever attended, it is just a game. What we are doing in our church in the coming 31 weeks is about a life changing relationship with Jesus Christ. And the victory we want for our children, families and friends is about an eternal relationship with Jesus Christ.

In Jesus,
Barry

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home