Friday, June 15, 2012

Dad's Day! Reflections on my Dad! Ells Hidey

Page Ellsworth 'Ells' Hidey

Dad’s Day!









Father's Day 1967
Growing up, Father’s Day was a tough day after Dad died. As I grew older I was able to look back and see what a blessing my dad was to my life. I have begun to realize that the impact of a dad (or a mom) on a child’s life is not just something that happens while they are alive or only if you live close to them.









September 25, 1949





I have found that the impact of my dad on my life wasn’t just who my dad was to me, but who he was in all of the aspects of his life. As a 12 year old, I didn’t really understand the love of my dad for my mom. But through the years as my mom talked about the type of husband my dad was, it has made me see how important it is for me to love my wife, to honor and respect her.




The children of Ray & Emma Hidey




When my dad’s sisters and brothers spoke about the way he treated them, about the honest and caring brother, it helped me to realize how important my sisters are to my life and the need to be the best brother I can be.






Easter 1963

Ocean City, MD 1960
As my personal memories with my Dad are so few and becoming less “vivid” as years go on, I realize that a being a dad to my children isn’t just about childhood memories, but my life with them now -  each time I see them or talk with them.













My Dad was a trustee at our church and I remember a conversation about an issue that came up at one of the meetings. He didn’t name issues or people, but what I took away from that conversation was his willingness and desire to work things out in a way that was good for the church, the trustees and God. We went to church together and Dad lived out his faith in front of us.

As I look back, I realize that who he was to my mom, my sisters and I, to his siblings and to our church was consistent. At his funeral, hundreds of his friends, neighbors, people he had worked for and with, all shared a common thread of Dad’s loyalty, integrity and consistency.

August 7, 1955
Baptism at Salem EUB Church, Hebbville, MD
Being a dad isn’t just about what we are like around our children. It is who we are across all the relationships and experiences of life. And my dad, Ells Hidey, seemed to do that really well and that has helped me to be a better dad, husband, brother and pastor.

The greatest thing I have ever heard, after getting to know someone who knew my dad, is to hear them say, “You sure are a lot like your dad”.

Thanks! Dad!
Barry Hidey
June 15, 2012

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Hidey said...

That is so sweet!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

Thank you so much for writing this and sharing it. Dad would be so proud of you. Not only do you look a lot like him you also have many of his characteristics. You too love your wife and have invested in your family. What a blessing. Proud to call you brother.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

love this..

4:59 PM  
Blogger G. HUBBARD said...

dads all face tough questions our free TALK WITH THE LORD program insppires daily talks catch they need your help with fdirst question our blog helps g hubbard po box 2232 ponbte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home